The following is a list of facts that are sometimes
stereotyped on psychopaths as well as portrayed in the media as always having the same characteristics:
- Pedophiles are NOT psychopaths, but some psychopaths ARE pedophiles.
- Antisocial personalities are NOT always psychopaths,
but psychopaths DO have antisocial personalities
- Psychopaths are NOT unintelligent. Most are extremely verbally intelligent but lack emotional intelligence.
- Psychopaths are NOT always murderers, and murderers
are NOT always pyschopathic.
of the more intelligent psychopaths are actually in higher positions and can even own companies.
- Psychopathy is much more common than people think.
- There is not an "evil gene" that causes psychopathy,
but there are genes that make certain people more vulnerable to psychopathy.
- Psychopaths are actually over-represented in prisons. Only about 25% of
inmates are diagnosed as psychopathic. Many psychopaths are walking among the rest of us each day.
- All psychopaths are NOT violent.
- All psychopaths are NOT psychotic. Many people believe that a psychopath
has psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia.
- Psychopaths are actually extremely rational. They are aware of their illegal actions but seem to shrug it off
with a careless attitude.
is NOT untreatable. Through the use of psychotherapy, it may be extremely difficult to change a psychopath's traits, but their
criminal and violent behaviors may be easier to change. In contrast, some psychopaths react the opposite to psychotherapy,
exploding into more violent acts because of it.